IMPORTANT UPDATE: Based on an abundance of evidence from around the world about the efficacy of the vaccines to help curb the spread of COVID-19, Barcelona SAE will now require all students to be fully vaccinated beginning with Fall 2021 programs. All programs with a start date of April 2022 or later will also require the booster shot.
The International Business & Humanities Semester Program at the Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona (UAB) will deliver on all fronts by letting you study in one of Europe’s most vibrant and affordable cities while learning from local professors.
This program is perfect for those looking to get their feet wet on a global scale. The chance to learn from an entirely new perspective is priceless…especially in the field of business. You will take courses in English or Spanish for your major, minor, or general education requirements that are customized for study abroad students, all while absorbing Spanish at an astonishing rate thanks to your intensive language course.
- Minimum G.P.A. Requirement: 2.75
- Class Requirement: Sophomore-Senior Standing
- Language Requirement: Although helpful, no previous Spanish language knowledge is required.
ABOUT THE UNIVERSITY
Established in 1960, the Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona (UAB) is one of the most dynamic universities in Spain. The UAB has been ranked in the top 30 young universities around the world and has received a prestigious award for sustainability
Barcelona SAE’s International Business & Humanities Program is located on the gorgeous Hospital Sant Pau Campus, a UNESCO World Heritage site and a few minutes walk from Gaudí’s Sagrada Familia! The UAB offers a wide variety of courses that will allow you to delve into business, economics, politics, literature, arts, architecture, sociology, and history. The UAB also offers Spanish Language courses for all levels.
The UAB’s Barcelona campus is specially designed for international students and you will share the campus with students from the United States, Egypt, Brazil, Russia, China, Northern Europe, and other areas around the world.
The Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona (UAB) and Barcelona SAE have worked hard to create a study abroad program that allows you to earn credits in your major, minor, or electives. The courses are especially designed for international students, meaning that you will be able to take courses in English and/or have the advantage of learning in Spanish at a pace for non-native or fluent speakers.
The Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona (UAB) is recognized by the Spanish Ministry of Education as a degree granting institution of higher learning. After completing a Barcelona SAE program at the UAB, the transcript will be sent directly to the student’s home institution.
Before you go abroad, Barcelona SAE strongly recommends that you meet with the study abroad office and/or your academic advisor at your home institution. After your acceptance into the program, you will be required to submit a “Approval Contact for Study Abroad” form that will automatically inform your home institution of your intent to participate on a Barcelona SAE program. With that said, we suggest that students are as transparent as possible about their plans and make an appointment with their study abroad office immediately after submitting their Barcelona SAE application.
The earlier that students plan for their study abroad experience, the easier it will be to get all of their courses pre-approved and know exactly what transfer credit will be received at their home institution. Please remember that it is best to get multiple first and second choice courses pre-approved for your Barcelona SAE program, as this will give you some flexibility in setting up your class schedule. Don’t just think about the courses that are required for your major or minor, but also courses that can fulfill your general education or elective requirements.
Your courses will be taught in English or Spanish and will primarily be lectures with some teamwork involved. Students will be in class at the UAB with other international students.
Students who study for a semester at the UAB have the option to take a 45 hour (3 credits) or 90 hour (6 credits) language course, taught at a level determined by an online placement exam. The language class sizes are no more than 20 people to maximize the time spent in the classroom to ensure a personalized experience. Please note that, while it is not mandatory to take Spanish language, it is STRONGLY encouraged. There are both 45 hour (3 credits) and 90 hour (6 credits) courses available.
Please click here to view the available courses for this program.
- Option A (12 credits): 1 Intensive Spanish Language Course (90 Hours) plus 2 Electives (45 Hours Each)
- Option B (12 credits): 1 Spanish Language Course (45 Hours) plus 3 Electives (45 Hours Each)
- Option C (12 credits): 4 Electives (45 Hours)
- Option D (15 credits): 1 Intensive Spanish Language Course (90 Hours) Plus 3 Electives (45 Hours Each)
- Option E (15 credits): 1 Spanish Language Course (45 Hours Each) Plus 4 Electives (45 Hours Each)
- Option F (15 credits) 5 Electives (45 Hours Each)
The International Business & Humanities Semester Program at the UAB Includes:
Countdown to Barcelona:
While in Barcelona:
- Group Webinar and Pre-Departure Preparation
- Personalized Advising
Cultural & Social Activities:
- UAB Tuition and Fees
- Official University Transcript from Universitat Autónoma de Barcelona
- Airport Pick-Up (Must Arrive BEFORE 12:00pm on Program Start Date)
- Logistical & Cultural Orientations
- Housing for the Duration of Program (Homestays include Breakfast/Dinner!)
- Comprehensive Medical & Accident Insurance
- 24-Hour Emergency Support
- English-Speaking Staff
For Continued Success After the Program:
- The Barcelona SAE Bucket List
- Overnight and/or Weekend Excursion(s) Outside of Barcelona - Exact # and Locations Dependent on Term
- Day Trip(s) Outside of Barcelona - Exact # and Locations Dependent on Term
- Optional Weekend Excursion to Morocco (Additional Cost Applies)
- Weekly Cultural Agenda (The Local Perspective of What’s Happening Each Week!)
- Weekly Cultural Activities (Cooking Classes, Dance Lessons, Intercambios, Barrio Tours, and MORE!)
- Cultural Mentor Program
- Welcome Activity
- Re-Entry Workshop & Farewell Meal
…and SO MUCH MORE!
- Alumni & Career Services
- Invitation to Barcelona SAE’s LinkedIn Alumni Group
- Opportunity to Apply to be a “Barcelona SAE Alumni Ambassador” on Your Home Campus
- Invitations to Study Abroad & Internship Returnee Conferences Throughout the U.S.
The Program Does Not Include:
- Round-Trip Airfare to/from Barcelona
- Visa Costs (If Applicable)
- Mobile Phones & Charges
- Local Transportation
- Personal Items
Barcelona SAE offers our students a variety of housing options, which means that we have the perfect place in Barcelona for you to call your home away from home. We have carefully selected safe and adequate housing for each student but each living arrangement is different.
Housing in Barcelona is very competitive and participants will be placed based on availability. We make every effort to provide you with your preferred form of housing, but due to space limitations we cannot guarantee that you will get your first choice.
There are no overnight guests allowed in any program housing. Our staff is happy to share a resource page for hotels and hostels for any visiting friends to use.
Most housing will be in double rooms with students of the same gender (biological sex). You can opt to pay a $200/month supplement for a single room (if available on a first come, first serve basis). If you have any questions or concerns, please note this in your housing form.
WHERE WILL YOU LIVE?
Housing for the program is spread throughout the city of Barcelona. Every neighborhood is easily accessible by public transportation and the city is very walkable. The normal commute in Barcelona is around 45 minutes using public transportation from your housing to your school or internship, it may be a bit more or less than this.
Each neighborhood has a different feel…Les Corts is where the soccer stadium is, Gracia is hipster and bohemian, Eixample has a gay friendly district and incredible architecture, Sagrada Familia has wonderful shopping, Sant Marti & Poblenou are tech powerhouses off the tourist path.
Please click here for more information regarding our housing options.
So…what are you waiting for? APPLY TODAY and get ready to embark on the Barcelona experience of a lifetime!